CASAR has always been known for the extraordinary performance of its mining ropes. Now they have set a new world record in Australia’s Northparkes mine, establishing a new milestone in the process. After 652,239 completed cycles, a service life of 46 months and more than 22 million tons of moved rock, the Turboplast M used for the work was gracefully retired. The rope was discarded according to plan in mid-January 2015 under the supervision of Roger Smith, an experienced expert for hightech mining ropes in the service of CASAR, and Alexander Fäh, sales engineer for mining ropes.

The Northparkes mine is located in a rural area of the state of New South Wales, around 450 km to the west of Sydney. At the end of 2013, the Chinese company China Molybdenum Co., Ltd. took over 80 % of the shares of the Rio Tinto Group, while the remaining 20 % are still owned by the Japanese Sumitomo Group. Gold and high-quality copper concentrate are mined and extracted in the Northparkes mine. The hoisting machine is a ground mounted friction winder with a motor power of 3 MW which transports a maximum payload of 16.5 t at a speed of 15.3 m/s from a depth of 590 m to the top. Four hoist ropes with a diameter of 32 mm and a length of 750 m are used, two ropes right hand Lang’s lay and two ropes left hand Lang’s lay.